If your loved one with dementia continues to live at home, a safety kettle is a dementia friendly, low-cost home adaptation.
As symptoms worsen, a safety kettle for dementia can be useful to help maintain their independence and daily routine.
This blog will cover our recommended buys and why it’s an essential item for your loved one.
Here’s a summary of what we’ll cover in this article:
- A safety kettle for dementia is one adaptation that you can make to keep your loved one independent at home.
- A regular kettle may become dangerous to lift, fill and pour. Luckily there are plenty of lightweight and ergonomic alternatives available.
- Safety kettle dementia products also include features like non-slip handles, auto shutoff and boil dry protection to prevent accidents.
What is a safety kettle for dementia?
Safety kettles are designed to support elderly people who may have additional needs when using the kitchen.
Such needs can include reduced strength and mobility, changes to sight or cognitive impairments such as dementia and its symptoms.
For people living with dementia, even simple tasks around the house can become difficult or dangerous.
This becomes especially relevant when boiling water is involved, with the potential for serious injury.
With a range of features available, a safety kettle reduces the risk of burns, injuries and damage at tea time.
What makes a safety kettle dementia friendly?
Generally, an ideal safety kettle dementia product is lightweight, easy to handle and simple to use.
Other dementia friendly safety features may include:
- Anti scalding plastic technology
- Automatic shut off to prevent dry boil
- Ergonomic design
- Thermal technology
- Non-slip coating
- Large filling area
- Easy to open or assisted opening lid
Additional safety features
There are also products which you can use alongside your existing safety kettle to make it easier to use.
Kettle tippers are a dementia friendly feature to add to your kitchen.
The whole kettle and base is placed inside the mechanism which can be moved using a dedicated handle to pour.
This reduces the risk of drops and water spills, which could lead to burns and other injuries.
Safety kettle dementia recommended buys
Many safety kettles and kettles designed for older people will have relevant and helpful features.
Here’s a roundup of the best. Starting with ergonomic safety kettles:
Dualit Domus Kettle
The Dualit Domus Kettle has Sure Pure technology which means it is easy to fill, lift and pour, requiring a low-pouring angle so it is easier on your wrists. Other features include:
- Rapid boil
- 1.5 litres
- Product Weight: 1.81 kg
- Ergonomic silicone handle
- 360° swivel base with cordless operation
- Boil-dry safety feature
What the reviews say: Many 5 star reviews love this fast, reliable and ergonomic kettle from a great trusted brand.
Aigostar Small Electric Kettle
Lightweight and compact, the Aigostar small electric kettle is a great choice for daily use.
- Boil-dry safety feature
- 1 litre
- Lightweight design
- Energy efficient- boil what you need
- Product weight: 810g
What the reviews say: This small lightweight kettle is perfect for elderly people and as a safety kettle for dementia. It takes up little space on the surface and is much more manageable than a regular size kettle. Overall it’s great value for money.
Daewoo SDA1650 Cordless Electric Kettle
This cordless electric kettles comes complete with overheating protection once boiling.
- External water gauge
- Easy clean removable filter
- Cordless design
- Lightweight plastic design
- 1.7 litres
- 910 g
- Extra wide lid
What the reviews say: Reviewers are very happy with this product. It looks smart, is quiet and energy efficient and is lightweight and easy to handle.
Kettle tippers for dementia
If you don’t want to buy a whole new safety kettle, you could try a kettle tipper.
This product reduces the risks associated with lifting the kettle.
It uses a moveable mechanism to guide the pouring of water instead.
Homecraft Universal Kettle Tipper
Designed for those with limited hand dexterity and weak or limited grip, Homecraft Universal Kettle Tipper helps enable independence in the kitchen for longer.
- Reduces the effort that is required to limit the potential of wrist pain and strain
- Tipper is made from white, heat resistant plastic
- No spill design
- Compatible with most standard kettle types, jugs, and cordless kettles
UK Care Direct Kettle Pourer/Tipper
This innovative kettle tipper is designed to be compatible with most kettle types including standard, jug and cordless kettles.
The level can be positioned on either side (so suitable for left or right handed use).
- Heat resistant plastic for safety and durability
- Rubber feet to prevent sliding on the work surface
- Kettle returns to upright position if the user lets go during use
- Compatible with most kettle types including standard, jug and cordless kettles
- Ergonomic design features
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links and if you go through them to make a purchase we will earn a small commission.
Need help finding care?
At Sweet Pea we take the stress out of finding quality care and domestic support services.
We match families with trusted home care providers, cleaners, dementia-friendly hairdressers, gardeners, personal shopping services, and so much more.
If you or your loved one are looking for a carer then start your free personalised care match today.